From: Gary Felix <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Iberian S116+
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 05:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

Ellen,
I hope an adequate sample size was used as they are looking for U8a an even more infrequent mtdna haplogroup. These papers are notorious for using a few samples to base a conclusion on.

Gary
Mexico DNA Project Admin.

ellen Levy <> wrote:
Gary:

I forgot to mention that almost every mtDNA researcher out there has asserted a southwestern European origin for haplogroup V and spread post-LGM, primarily based on its high frequency among modern-day Basques.

Only Izgirre, back in 1999 (as discussed in detail in my paper at JoGG) contradicted what became this now widely-accepted dogmatic view concerning the origins and spread of haplogroup V.

It appears this new Basque paper by Alfonso-Sanchez might also be questioning this idea - how refreshing!

Ellen Coffman

This thread: