From: Gary Felix <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Iberian S116+
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 23:51:12 -0700 (PDT)

The maps in the Article I referenced showing the concentration of old E3b, are made from the dataset. Here is the dataset distribution listed in the paper. The number in parenthesis is the sample size:

French Basque (45) No E found
Spanish Basque (48) 2.1 percent M81
Catalan (33) 3.0 percent M78 3.0 percent M81
Andalusian (76) 3.9 percent M78 5.3 percent M81
Andalusian (37) 2.7 percent M35 2.7 percent M78 5.4 percent M81

Last week I ran all of the non R1b on my project page and did nine marker comparisons with the HRD worldwide database (which has grown substancially). Here is one that matches the Berber haplotype per Robert Tarin's paper (the link is on the project page).
http://tinyurl.com/4nwptj

The Berber haplotype (E1b1b1b (M81) is a very tight cluster similar to WAMH so there are 238 matches.

In order to put this in perspective I will cut and paste the Iberian results below:
Andalucía/Extremadura, Spain
10 / 386 = .026 percent S

Asturias, Spain
1 / 90 = .01 percent N

Barcelona, Spain
2 / 224 = .009 percent N

Cantabria, Spain
4 / 101 = .04 percent N

Central Portugal
12 / 489 = .024 percent C

Madrid, Spain
4 / 152 = .026 percent C

Northern Portugal
6 / 564 = .01 percent N

Northern Spain [Basque]
1 / 168 = .005 percent N

Pyrenees, Spain
1 / 134 = .007 percent N

Santiago de Compostela, Spain
2 / 103 = .02 percent N

Southern Portugal
1 / 112 = .009 percent S

Valencia, Spain
1 / 140 = .007 percent S

Zaragoza, Spain
1 / 120 = .008 percent N

Highest percentage is in Cantabria in the North of Spain which also shows a hotspot of J in other papers I have seen. Next is Andalucia in the South with .026 as well as Madrid with the same percentage in Central Spain.

Gary
Mexico DNA Project Admin.

grandcross <> wrote: I don't see anything in that article that proves or even asserts a
concentration of E1b1b in the south of Iberia. Both major subclades of E
(M78 and M81) are found throughout the peninsula at varying frequencies with
perhaps slightly more M81 in the southeastern part. Along the western
litoral, comprising mostly Portugal, the two E subclades are not evenly
spread from south to north. It would be hard to characterize the picture as
one of concentration in the south In fact M81, the so called "Berber
marker", is seen in greater numbers within the northwest province of Galicia
in Spain than in southern Portugal. In 2005,
(http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1529-8817.2005.00221.x)