From: "grandcross" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Iberian Y-DNA J (was Re: Iberian S116+)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:24:08 -0500

Michael wrote:

My Response:
> We may be quibbling over semantics.... what does "rule" versus "partially
> rule" versus mean?
> Regardless, the Moors entered and controlled parts of Spain from about 710
> to 1492. That's pretty close to 800 years. I count 782.

It isn't semantics. It's an effort to encourage clarity about a subject that
inevitably informs our discussion about the genetic impact of the "Moors"
upon Iberia as a result of their invasion in the eighth century. The
received wisdom for some on this list is that the "Moors" came, conquored
and subsequently controlled a huge swath of the Iberian peninsula for 800
years. The bookend dates everyone remembers are 711 and 1492. There is a
certain kind of lazy logic that flows from these premises. What actually
occurred during that time period is vastly more complicated and nuanced,
particularly with regard to the very light genetic imprint the invaders left
behind.

This thread: