From: "Dienekes Pontikos" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] TRMCA for R1b1
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 05:15:56 +0200

TMRCAs tell us how old the common ancestor of Y-chromosomes in a
certain region is. They do not tell us whether this common ancestor,
or his descendants arrived _into_ the region after the TMRCA, or
whether the common ancestor arose _within_ the region.

So, knowing the age A of R-M269 or any other haplogroup tells us
nothing about whether it _arrived_ into Europe after A, or whether it
_arose_ in Europe from a line of ancestors before older than A.