From: "David Faux" <>
Subject: [DNA] Italian R-M269 may be 2-3X as old as Anatolian R-M269
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:29:14 -0800

It has become dogma of late that Anatolian M269 is older than that found
further west - and the former is the homeland of the haplogroup. It is also
now "accepted" (by most?) that M269 could not be older than circa 7000
years. It has typically been accepted that Iberian (ht 15) is considerably
younger than Anatolian (ht 35) varieties of M269 because, it is maintained,
that the latter is more diverse and hence older. Typically the territory in
between, Italy, a potential refugium during the Last Glacial Maximum and
Younger - Dryas periods, has been ignored. Perhaps, as Gioiello has long
maintained (on this List and dna-forums), Italy holds the key to
understanding the history of M269. I wonder if those who have attempted to
set aside the work of Semino et al., Wells et al., and many others will be
able to offer a congent critique of the following:

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2008/12/age-of-italian-r1b-y-chromosomes.html

This is an analysis that even I can understand :-)

David K. Faux.

This thread: