From: "Elizabeth O'Donoghue" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Blood of the Irish
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:39:10 -0000

>From John:

'Elizabeth, it doesn't really matter if the druids were still active when
the
Milesian legends were composed or not. The legends were a scholarly
invention, based on elements borrowed from sources readily available to the
church
community.'

-------------

John, you have an impressive library source for your reference. I am not
disagreeing with much of what you quote - but there is a wealth of other
histories and references besides what you have used, and the 'truth' is not
bound by or limited to your listed sources. It could also be that the myth
originated with the oral tradition of the Irish people, kept by the
Druid/bards of those early days. Scholars consider it likely that the Gaels
arrived in Ireland, assuming they did, around the time of Christ rather than
the thousands of years previous suggested by much of the later written
versions. If this were the case, it would only have been centuries later,
not millenniums, when the stories were recorded - albeit embellished in many
ways as both you and I have mentioned.

In your last sentence above, you appear to be stating THE facts regarding
the Irish origin myth (singular, of which there were many versions and
varieties). I would hesitate to be so sure.

Elizabeth

This thread: