From: "Ian Logan" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] A new 'Russian' mtDNA on GenBank
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:27:23 -0000

Lawrence

Thank you for your 2 postings.

This new sequence IS in Haplogroup C - an uncommon haplogroup
associated with Eastern Asian.

So there is still the story to be found about how this haplotype
got to Europe and across to the US.

A spread of results across Europe might suggest a number of women
travelling along the Silk Road over hundreds of years
- so all very interesting ...

I wonder if FTDNA has found any other samples that show
this haplogroup in European and American samples.
Another question for Doron Behar perhaps.

As far as I can tell there are no other Haplogroup C sequences
on GenBank from Europeans, or American immigrants.

Ian
Lawrence wrote:
I should have mentioned that the lack of exact HVR1+HVR2 matches to this
sequence is probably due merely to a lack of fuller testing. The HVR1
portion is quite distinctive, yet has many FTDNA matches across Europe and
beyond:
Azerbaijan 1, Czech Republic, 1 Italy 3, Poland 3,
Scotland 3, Germany 1, Ireland 1, United States 1,

This thread: