From: "RICHARD KENYON" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA Test Panel Options
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:58:22 -0700

There are currently around 900 Y-SNPs (counting duplicate names) whose positions are known on the Y-DNA phylogenetic tree. This is only a small fraction of the thousands known on the Y-chromosome. The problem (in my opinion) is that we don't where all these "other" SNPs should be placed on the tree. The true hierarchial structure of these "other" SNPs requires extensive testing of individuals. Some geneticists estimate that, on average over the entire human genome, there's one SNP for every 500 nucleotide pairs. With the Y-chromosome having about 57.7 million nucleotide pairs, that means there must be a huge number of Y-SNPs yet to be analyzed.

There seems to be no correlation between the position of a SNP on the Y-chromosome and the position of other SNPs that would add an additional twig to the Y-tree. So, for example in a "Walk on the Y", it's not possible to select a segment of the Y-chromosome that will give a higher probability than other segments for finding SNPs to further subdivide a subclade (say of the I or R haplogroup). To me, it seems similar to throwing darts at a stock market page to select stocks. The odds of success with a walk on the Y may not be too good, but with current technology, it may be best way to proceed.