From: Janet Crawford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R-L21
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 11:58:07 +0100

Susan asked:

"Why would you think there would not be as much L21* in Wales as there
is in Ireland?"

No, the opposite, Susan.
Susan, King/Bishop Cormac Mac Cuileannain wrote in his Glossary (in c.
900 AD) that the Irish held vast estates in Wales c. 325 AD. There was
much interaction and intermarriage between the "Eoganacht" dynasty in
Munster (and with Leinster) with the royal families of Wales and
Cornwall, and many religious pilgrims and scholars both directions.
St. David himself spent time in Munster. If Cormac speaks the truth,
and there is no reason why he did not, L21, if in Ireland, has to be
in Wales and Cornwall in some density.
There is also a strong connection between the "Eoganacht" dynasty and
with the Conaille ever since the Battle of Crinna in Co. Louth, and at
least the monastery of Dromiskin was populated by Munster monks. Since
the families controlled the monasteries, I would assume there were
inter-marriages as well. In fact, I am almost positive that Cormac's
father was of the Conaille as no other viable choices have appeared.

Janet