From: Beth Long <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Eastern R1b Testing (was R1b Origins)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 02:19:15 -0700 (PDT)

If I might interject: how about a concerted effort to systematically sample some of the easternmost R1b we can find? I would assume that the Genographic Project has already done this to some extent at least. Their samples are only twelve markers, but that's still a lot better than six or seven. There is also some good data from the "Anatolian DNA paper" (whose precise title I have forgotten) It has a large supplementary data table at the end with STRs.

We can argue back and forth until the cows come home, but wouldn't it be more productive to try to remedy the current geographical imbalance in the R1b results that we have (i.e. a huge overrepresentation of the British Isles among the FTDNA database and any other place where people have had to pay for their testing out of their own pocket).

Their is a surprisingly large amount of R1b in Romania, for example (and I am speaking of ethnic Romanian, not descendants of the Transylvania Saxons among whom it would be expected).

Still trying to find a solution for this sampling issue, if only on a small scale. It's impossible to get funding from academic institutions because our type of genetic testing does not meet their strict human subject protocols as to anonymity, etc.

There is a Romanian Y-DNA project, as well as a Polish one. Also, there is our Bukovina Hungarian project. In addition, I recently started up a new project (Hungarian_Magyar), and am training a young and very bright young Hungarian fellow in how to use the GAP so I can turn it over to him. He was given fifty kits from Sorenson some time ago, and has managed to decipher most of the results. He is currently beating the bushes for funding to test more Magyar Hungarian (as distinguished from those of German, Jewish, Slovak, Croatian, Romanian etc, ancestry who have their own projects).

These and may other projects are trying to raise funds to test folks in populations who can't afford to pay for it themselves. You could also donate to upgrade or deep-clade test someone whose results you find interesting. Please consider a donation to the general fund of any of these projects or or others that sound interesting to you. "Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness", and all that...

Beth Long

This thread: