From: adam bradford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] L21 oriigns
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 12:05:22 -0400

I am still suspicious about that heavy concentration on the Rhine. It could
be more a reflection of the sources for emigration to America than it is a
reflection of the haplogroups' actual concentration in Europe, whether 4
years ago or 4000 years ago.

I am reminded of this passage from Bernard Bailyn's Peopling of British
North America (a must read):

"A thousand local rivulets fed streams of emigrants moving through nothern
and central Europe in all directions. . . A sampling of the sources of the
first sizable German migration to British territory, which scattered
ultimately to Ireland and New York - that of 1709-1710 - shows a remarkable
range of communities from which the migrants came. Approximately 42 percent
of the immigrants came from the Palitinate proper, west of the Rhine and
south of the Mosel. But as many came from east of the Rhine . .. .* This
was no concentrated exodus with a singular impetus, but a kind of seepage
from an otherwise almost invisible but continuous and normal flow of people
from village to village, from village to town, and from town to city. The
Palitinate, it has been suggested - long before America was thought of in
such terms - was a melting pot of European peoples*."

I think most of the modern day distribution and frequency of haplogroups
today are going to be the result of this "almost invisible but continuous
and normal flow of people" that Bailyn writes about. We tend to always
assume that the distribution has to be due either to some world historical
event or something that's going to show up in the archaeological record.
That is not necessarily the case.

I think we also have to be careful not to trust too much in the big premise
on which most of our haplogroup speculations are based - that people tended
to remain where they were in the vast period that precedes the point where
we begin to be able to see them moving all over the place.

For these reasons, I would tend to put more stock in whatever geographical
correlations might exist within a haplogroup phylogeny, like the clear SE-NW
cline in R1b and descendant clades, and a lot less stock in frequency and
even modern day (last 500 years) distribution. Those are just snapshots of a
point in time, and it is dangerous to infer too much from the past based on
how things look in the present.