From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Interesting article at the Spitoon on Hutterites
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 01:11:58 -0700

Dear Steven,
Thanks for bringing this article to our attention. I was aware that
this study was going on, but wasn't a part of it. There are some people
with Hutterite ancestry who are also members of the Low German Mennonite
project. In 1803 there were a total of 205 Hutterites living in Russia.
See http://www.mennonitegenealogy.com/russia/radichev1803.htm for
background. The surnames present in 1803 included the following: Waldner,
Wurtzi (or Wurz), Kleinsasser, Glantzer, Zeterle (or Tschetter), Hofer,
Kuhr, Walther (or Walter), Stahl, Wipf, Bolmann (or Pullman), Walemann (or
Wallmann), Mandelig (or Mendel), Mueller (or Miller), Gross, Knels, Decker,
Zittel, Wirth, Schmidt, and Stern. The descendents of this group immigrated
to the U. S. and Canada between 1874 and 1879. A total of 1284 Hutterites
immigrated during those years. All of the above surnames were also found
among the group that immigrated between 1874 and 1879 with the exception of
Kuhr, Zittel, Wirth, Schmidt, and Stern. Thus there were a total of only 15
surnames found among the Hutterites by 1874: Decker, Glanzer, Gross, Hofer,
Kleinsasser, Knels, Pullman, Mendel, Miller, Stahl, Waldner, Wallmann,
Walter, Wipf, and Wurz. The progenitors of the Knels and Decker families
were originally Low German Mennonites and weren't Hutterites.
The results of the study weren't all that surprising. If you reduce
a group of people to 67 survivors and then expand that population
dramatically you wouldn't expect to find very many distinct Y or mtDNA
haplotypes present. However, I was somewhat surprised by the finding that
there were only 10 distinct Y-chromosome "haplogroups" among the Hutterites.
I believe that all or almost all of the 15 surnames found among the
Hutterites who immigrated between 1874-1879 are still found among Hutterites
today. I would have thus thought that the researchers would have found 15
distinct haplotypes among the 15 surnames unless the progenitors of some of
the original surnames were closely related to each other. I would have used
the term "haplotype" rather than "haplogroup" in this sentence: "Among all
the Hutterite DNA samples analyzed, the authors found only 11 distinct types
of mtDNA (called haplogroups), and only 10 distinct Y-chromosome
haplogroups."
If anyone has an electronic copy of the complete article, I would be
interested in having a copy of it.
I am working on a similar project, but on a larger scale involving
the Low German Mennonites. There are currently about 250 Low German
Mennonite surnames in existence that have been found among Mennonites for at
least 175 years or more. We have samples from male representatives of about
190 surnames from this group and only have to collect samples from another
60 or so surnames before we can publish a similar paper.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen