From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R-U152 and R-L21 on the European Continent
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 17:55:45 -0600

Views change, and you can see a distinct change in views on this
question in the literature. The recent paper by Jacques Chiaroni,
Peter A. Underhill, and Luca L. Cavalli-Sforza, for example, actually
holds out R in western Europe as an example of a "migration that can
reach highest values up to 100%, at or before barriers most distant
from their likely place of origin." The barrier in this case, of
course, is the Atlantic Ocean. The origin, according to the paper by
Barbara Arredi, Estalla Poloni, and Chris-Tyler Smith, is West Asia.

This shift in views is in contradiction to the ancient work by Semino
and others, but if those six geneticists can agree on something (in
this case, an expansion of R from the Near East into Europe), I guess
that is worth pointing out too.

VV

On Dec 6, 2009, at 5:13 PM, Gary Felix wrote:

> What should have been said in the first place are that these recent
> ages of haplogroups could be proven wrong and are not in agreement
> with
> the general view of population geneticists.

This thread: