Subject: Re: [DNA] R-U152 and R-L21 on the European Continent
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:50:26 +0000 (UTC)

From: Al Aburto

>Hi Anatole,
>I think when we get the _right_ mix of markers to use that correspond to
>the actual mix of fast & slow markers in the Y-chromosome that we'll be
>happier ...
>Perhaps ... :-)

You know, Al, science cannot be possibly happy by definition. Every bit of knowledge uncovers more puzzles to deal with.

I am more or less fine with the first 67 markers to compose trees, and to use the first 25 of them to calculate TCA's. It works for me.

An appropriate example - I (along with a colleague of mine Igor Rozhanski) recently have identified two branches on the R1a1 67-marker tree, coined "Central-European" and "Western Slavic", with TCA's of about 2600 ybp each. After Underhill et all (2009) have published R1a1a7*, it turned out that ALL of them (each one) belong to these two branches splitting exactly with the same TCA's, about 2600 ybp each.

I cannot ask for more.

Regards,

Anatole

 >   wrote:
>

> From: Gary Felix < >
>
> <<VV
>
> <<The problem, David, is that ZUF appear to have taken a step in the
> <<WRONG direction. Instead of identifying the many different factors
> <<that might affect the translation of intraclade variance into a TMRCA
> <<estimate, they instead took the approach of throwing all the factors
> <<into a blender and concocting a mess.
>

>> Not true.
>>

> True.

This thread: