From: "Anatole Klyosov" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R-U152 and R-L21 on the European Continent
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:45:19 -0500

From: Al Aburto <>

>One thing is that DYS388 is not a slow mutator in Y-DNA J.
(...)
>I'm not sure what to think about all this (I sort of gave it all up
quite a while ago) :-(

Dear Al,

If I would not have dealt with thousands and thousands of haplotypes of all
haplogroups, I would be frustrated as well. But I am not. In fact, those
things
are rather simple, straightforward and quite reproducible.

Most of folks who play with haplotypes are experimenting, as Tim does.
They take different markers, only fast ones (wrong!), only slow ones
(wrong!),
or divide everything by three (wrong!), or do not dissect datasets into
lineages
(wrong!), etc., etc., and get frustrated (wrong!).

All one needs to do is to be consistent, play by the simple rule of reaction
(mutation) rates, understand margins of errors and compare data obtained
with actual historical event from time to time, and you are right there.

And the most important - have fun.

Regards,

Anatole Klyosov

P.S. Oh, yes, DYS388 is a VERY slow marker. If you see it is mutating,
it means you have a very old lineage and/or several lineages. Each one has
its own practically unchanged DYS388 value.

Remember, play by the simple rule of reaction (mutation) rates. If you see
the
rule is seeemingly violated, take a deep breath and look again. The rule is
the
same but something else is wrong. For example, your other assumptions.

This thread: