From: Vince Tilroe <>
Subject: [DNA] New paper: The Peopling of Europe from the MitochondrialHaplogroup U5 Perspective
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 00:48:04 -0600

A very interesting article regarding European haplogroup U5 has appeared
on PLoS ONE:

*The Peopling of Europe from the Mitochondrial Haplogroup U5 Perspective
*
Malyarchuk B, Derenko M, Grzybowski T, Perkova M, Rogalla U, et al. 2010
The Peopling of Europe from the Mitochondrial Haplogroup U5 Perspective.
PLoS ONE 5(4): e10285. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0010285

/Abstract/

"It is generally accepted that the most ancient European
mitochondrial haplogroup, U5, has evolved essentially in Europe. To
resolve the phylogeny of this haplogroup, we completely sequenced
113 mitochondrial genomes (79 U5a and 34 U5b) of central and eastern
Europeans (Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Russians and Belorussians), and
reconstructed a detailed phylogenetic tree, that incorporates
previously published data. Molecular dating suggests that the
coalescence time estimate for the U5 is ~25--30 thousand years (ky),
and ~16--20 and ~20--24 ky for its subhaplogroups U5a and U5b,
respectively. Phylogeographic analysis reveals that expansions of U5
subclusters started earlier in central and southern Europe, than in
eastern Europe. In addition, during the Last Glacial Maximum central
Europe (probably, the Carpathian Basin) apparently represented the
area of intermingling between human flows from refugial zones in the
Balkans, the Mediterranean coastline and the Pyrenees. Age
estimations amounting for many U5 subclusters in eastern Europeans
to ~15 ky ago and less are consistent with the view that during the
Ice Age eastern Europe was an inhospitable place for modern humans."

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010285

According to the article, I would be classified as haplogroup *U5a1a1a1*
thanks to the back mutation at 16192 (which they place upstream of
1700), */and/* the mutation at 152, which Dr. Mannis van Oven
disregarded as a "highly recurrent mutation and that therefore [he does]
not usually assign it a haplogroup label." The kicker: my GenBank
sequence wasn't even included in this study. LOL

Vince T.

This thread: