From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Question about SNP tests for I1
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:41:16 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Faux" <>

again a SNP test is mandatory for
> anyone interested in certainty.

[[ Gee, I never heard this from you before! (Joke, for those not of this
community for 6 years plus like some of us oldies.) But alas, in spite of
WTY programs, 23andMe products, etc., we have many, many clades with no snp
tags yet to give them official haplogroup status. So some of us are willing
to have knowledge about the y tree without certainty, albeit with
probability, rather than be deprived. Come to think of it; most knowledge
about things in the world are without certainty. But maybe progress will
win over judgment day for some of us, and the full y genome will become
commonly available at a decent prize in several years. Dr. Collins of
genome map fame today said he sees that in his crystal ball. So folks
should begin to think about how to best structure full y sequencing
information for public consumption and comparisons, so that the interested
male will be able to recite his pathway back to genetic Adam at parties.
Ken]]

This thread: