From: Ann Turner <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Help with analysis of Family Finder Results
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:17:34 -0700

According to their FAQ, FTDNA does split blocks that span centromeres as
well as some other SNP poor regions:

The splits are due to their method of selecting informative blocks, not a
biological reality. 23andMe handles this by requiring more SNPs and/or cM
for segments that include SNP deserts. For your purposes, I think it would
be OK to concatenate blocks that straddle a SNP desert.

Ann Turner

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 7:40 AM, John S Walden <> wrote:

> List
> I have figured out the splitting of blocks issue
> FTDNA will "bridge" a block across the centemere but does not bridge it
> across one
> of the SNP poor regions.
> I wonder if there is a "right" way to handle this.
> If there are no SNPs there then the two people match 0 = 0 thus it should
> bridge??
> John W

This thread: