From: "Vern Prescott" <>
Subject: [DNA] DNA questions for a beginner
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 23:57:25 -0400

Hello List members

I have joined the list to seek guidance from people with experience with DNA
testing. I hope I am able to put my questions in a way that people will
understand.

Let me briefly describe my situation. My great grandmother was never
married but had 6 children. She had two sons, one being my grandfather. I
have just managed to determine who my grandfather's brother was, and am in
touch with some of his descendants. Now for my questions?

1. I would like to try DNA on myself and on a second cousin, if I get
agreement, thinking that I would be able to determine if my grandfather and
his brother had the same father or different fathers.
a) Am I correct in thinking that DNA would do this for me? ( both I
and the other person would be male line descendants)
b) If I can not get agreement form a second cousin, would it be
advisable to use my son and his third cousin rather than myself and a second
cousin, once removed? I would think that keeping the same generation would
make for an easier comparison.
c) what type of DNA testing would be required to do this?

2. My grandfather also had sisters, one of whom had a "surname" as a middle
name, possibly suggesting parentage. If I discover that my grandfather and
his brother had the same father, am I correct in thinking that I could then
check against data from people of the "other" surname to see if there was a
match, and possibly find my great grandfather (or his brother) by doing so?
Given a start, I could use other, more conventional techniques, to try to
determine the correct lineage.

My reasoning is that if two sons had the same father, possibly all the
children had the same father. I assume this is a long shot, but better than
any other methods available.

Vern in Ontario

This thread: