From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA questions for a beginner
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 05:20:08 -0400

If you have male descendants to test, yes, you should be able to determine
whether or not they have a near common patrilineal ancestor. The generation of
the descendant really doesn't matter. The important thing is that they be males
descended through an unbroken series of males from the presumed ancestor.

The kind of testing you need to do is called Y-DNA STR (short tandem repeat)
testing. FamilyTreeDNA calls it "male line testing":
http://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx

I recommend being tested there.

Diana
Disclaimer: I'm not an employee of FTDNA, but I do run six projects there.