From: Jim Huston <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] US says no patents on genes
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:59:24 -0400

IMO, the only possible position. The torturous "reasoning" used to justify gene patents is beyond belief. Genes are discovered, not invented, and the whole function and purpose of replication is to duplicate a gene discovered in someone's body, not to create a new gene. It's a bit late, but I'm glad someone in government has finally developed some (un)common sense.

I note that applications would still be patentable, which is what should have been the focus all along. That's where the big money is anyway, so nobody would be seriously inconvenienced, and much would be enabled.