From: steven perkins <>
Subject: [DNA] Two Letters in current European Journal of Human Geneticsre:R1b in Africa
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 08:07:48 -0400

European Journal of Human Genetics 18, 1185 (November 2010) |

Chadic languages and Y haplogroups

Andrew Lancaster

The January 2009 publication in this journal of an article entitled
‘Human Y chromosome haplogroup R-V88: a paternal genetic record of
early mid Holocene trans-Saharan connections and the spread of Chadic
languages’, by Cruciani et al,1 represents a major step forward in our
understanding of the African Y haplogroup diversity and pre-history.
Approximately one year ago I published a detailed review of the
earlier studies in this field.

European Journal of Human Genetics 18, 1186-1187 (November 2010) |

Reply to Lancaster

Fulvio Cruciani, Beniamino Trombetta, Daniele Sellitto, Andrea
Massaia, Giovanni Destro-Bisol, Elizabeth Watson, Eliane Beraud
Colomb, Jean-Michel Dugoujon, Pedro Moral and Rosaria Scozzari

In January 2010, we published in this journal a report1 on the
frequency distribution of the Y chromosome haplogroup R1b1a (R-V88) in
Africa, where it can be found at frequencies as high as about 90%.
This haplogroup (or its ancestor) most likely traces its origins back
to Eurasia, but is presently found very rarely outside Africa.

Steven C. Perkins
Researching Indigenous Peoples' Rights
Indigenous and Ethnic Minority Legal News
Online Journal of Genetics and Genealogy
Steven C. Perkins' Genealogy Page
Steven C. Perkins' Genealogy Blog

This thread: