From: Larry Vick <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA haplogroup prediction more sophisticated thanbefore?
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:41:30 -0700 (PDT)

When FTDNA predicted one kit with 12 markers was predicted as Q while another
with 12 markers (and the same haplotype) was predicted as Q1 FTDNA said:

In 2005 the U of A started to use a few (2) extra markers to act as check values
so that when we pulled more DNA to run an upgrade we'd have a marker in place
that would allow us to know we had pulled the right DNA.  So in the new
predictor we use those 2 check values as more data to refine the haplogroup
prediction...since 15634 is an old samples and never upgraded we have the prior
data that predicts him as a Q while the newer test takers we can actually
predict as a Q1.

Regards,

Larry