From: "Vern Prescott" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA questions for a beginner
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 12:11:10 -0400

Thank you for your comments, Diana.

In my situation, I have already proven that the two gentlemen in question
are brothers, or at least half-brothers as they share the same mother.
Should the DNA match, then I think it would be very likely that they had the
same father, though the fathers could be brothers or cousins.

In any case, I think I have decided against the idea of having my cousin
tested, as it is MY heritage that I am after, not that of my cousin (or half
cousin). It appears that all I need to do is have myself tested with 67
markers, and then I can look for a match with other surnames, starting with
the "target" surname hinted at by my great aunt's middle name.

If I get a match, I can then use conventional methods to try to identify the
actual individual in question.

Vern

> One cautionary. Just because the descendants of the two alleged brothers
> have a
> close, even perfect, Y-DNA match, doesn't prove the two were, in fact,
> brothers.
> The match certainly *supports* the hypothesis that they were brothers, but
> the
> DNA match, alone, cannot prove they were.
>
> Diana

This thread: