From: Gareth Henson <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS710
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 16:12:01 +0000

Al & List

Didier's question was how to convert back from a single number result (representing the total length of the variable segments) to the underlying structure - and Vince V has replied explaining why this isn't possible.

I think the single number format (with .2 when it occurs) is very well suited to helping refine relationships between close matches in a surname project - and sufficient for that purpose, if we assume that in close relatives the underlying repeat structure will normally be very similar.
Customers and Project Admins interested in deeper ancestry might wish to understand how the structure varies - for example if there is sometimes an AAGG in the middle of the second AAAG block then this might be a SNP marking out a distinct subgroup of whatever haplogroup it occurs in. There may also be quasi-UEPs where one of the repeat blocks has a multi-step deletion to a length which has a much lower mutation rate. So an advanced test option for sequencing the whole DYS710 segment rather than just measuring its length might be of interest.

Questions
1. Have any surname projects started using DYS710 to see if it helps link/split their branches?
2. Has WTY started including the DYS710 segment in its sequencing runs? Does anyone have any results?

Gareth

> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 06:49:52 -0700
> Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS710
>
> Hi Didier
> To get the count you add the 4-base counts, then add in 1/2 of the
> 2-base count and truncate, where an extra 2-base count is counted as
> ".2" (meaning two extra bases to the 4-base reference count). Any time
> the [AG] is an odd count you will get the ".2" final count result.
>
> [AAAG]20 [AG]9 [AAAG]4 [AAGG]1 [AAAG]6 = [NNNN]31 + [NN](8/2=4) + [NN]1
> = 35.2
>
> Too bad DYS710 isn't in one of FTDNA's standard panels. :-( We could use
> more "fast mutators" to get the TMRCA estimates "closer to home".
> Al
>

> > On 11/6/2010 3:15 AM, vernade didier wrote:
> > List,
> >
> > I was tested fot DYS710 and I have DYS710=35.2 . Here is a description of a DYS710=35.2 result : [AAAG]20 [AG]9 [AAAG]4 AAGG [AAAG]6
> >
> > to be compared to :
> > DYS710=36 [AAAG]18 [AG]16 [AAAG]10
> > DYS710=31 [AAAG]14 [AG]12 [AAAG]11
> > DYS710=34.2 [AAAG]16 [AG]13 [AAAG]12
> >
> > I need help to make some sense on these results. What change might have produce the 35.2 result ? Is the set above the only way to have 35.2 ?
> >
> > A suggestion : a page with a short explanation for these "new" markers.
> >
> > Didier

This thread: