From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: [DNA] Is the Y enrichment strategy working ?
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:22:30 -0500

Didier,

> The list below is showing slides from a talk by Thomas Krahn. I didn't
> know there was such a project with the Roche 454 Titanium Sequencer on
> Y chromosome. It seems a good idea...
> Now, is it working ? At what cost ? (important !)
> http://www.dna-fingerprint.com/static/FTDNA-Conference-2010-WalkThroughY.pdf
> (see end of the talk)

Yes, this was an exciting announcement. They want to offer a full Y
sequence. I'm sorry he didn't include more explanation with the
slides. The two problems are that he hasn't been able to find a
successful method yet for separating out the Y sequence from the rest of
the genome, and the cost is still too high. As soon as both of these
are resolved, we can look forward to being able to order a complete Y
sequence.

The point of the slides about the attempted "female enrichment" method
was to let us know that it didn't work. New strategies are being sought.

Bonnie

This thread: