From: William L Harvey <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Relationship Range" Confidence Level
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:37:22 -0800

Harold & Jim,

Here is a copy of a post I just placed on DNA-Forums. Covers what you
are interested in, but, as usual for me, more verbose to get the thought
across :

As a precursor let me say that I have a strong "Colonial" background on
my fathers' side. In addition, when I started researching and entering
my findings on computer I made the decision to include much info on
siblings of my ancestral lines - such as their spousal names and detail
about their children. I think both of the above facts have nicely
enhanced my finding of distantly related folks through the use of
autosomal DNA.

For FF I have a total of 51 predicted cousins - have sent a "standard"
contact letter to all and have received 12 replies and an e-mail bounce
from one.

FF has connected me with three of the 12 replies - all at very distant
cousin level :

1.) a predicted 4th cousin (female) who turned out to be an actual 9th
cousin - our connection is to Obadiah Bowen b. 1627 or his wife, Mary
Clifton - immigrant ancestors from Wales.

2.) a predicted 5th-distant cousin (male) who turned out to be an actual
9th cousin - Ellen Newton- who m. *1st* John Adams then m. *2nd* Kenelm
Winslow - all immigrant ancestors from England. Ellen Newton is this
person's match to my ancestry. Ellen Newton and John Adams ( my
ancestor) came on the ship Fortune in 1621 - arrived 2nd on-shore
following the landing by the Mayflower.

3.) a predicted 4th-distant cousin (female) who turned out to be an
actual 10th cousin - both of us linked to Jonas Eaton b. 1618 and/or his
wife Grace LNU - immigrant ancestors from England.

For 23andMe I have a total of 324 predicted cousins - have sent a
"standard" contact letter to 191 of these (sent to some of the closer
matches several times) and have received 87 replies accepting genome
sharing and have been declined by 9. I have 28 sitting in a slot yet to
be contacted.

#3.) *above* is another person who has also tested with both labs. She
was listed as a 5th cousin by RF within a range of 3rd to 8th. Again,
she turned out to be an actual 10th cousin - Jonas Eaton b. 1618 and his
wife Grace LNU - immigrant ancestors from England.

4.) a predicted 5th cousin (female) within a range of 3rd - 10th. She
turned out to be an actual 7th cousin of my James Cloyes(1) b. 1678,
Mass. or his wife Mary Towne b. 1681. James was of the second generation
born in Mass. for this family line.

5.) a predicted 7th cousin (male) within a range of 4th - 10th turned
out to be a 12th cousin of my Aasland maternal line from Norway. This is
really a significant find because it extended my pedigree info back into
the 1600's from skimpy knowledge of the early to mid-1800's on both
gr-grandparent lines to a wealth of info on both.

So, yes, having as complete a pedigree as possible for ALL lines is
really important but many of my "matches" are severely lacking in this
knowledge.

In my opinion FF will eventually have the strongest capability to
produce matches since a large percentage of 23andMe's database is only
interested in their health and disease results or are folks with
miniscule pedigree info with little interest in genetic genealogy.

Bill

This thread: