From: Jim Bartlett <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Relationship Range" Confidence Level
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 00:45:10 -0500

Tim,

A good point, and I fully agree. I had just sent an email explaining that after 35 years of research, I still only know 68 of my 128 ancestors 7 generations back. So perhaps half of my FF matches could be one of the other 60 unknown ancestors. On the other hand one of my ancestral lines reportedly goes back to Edward I, which makes me a cousin of the President.

If nothing else, FF has made me focus and share, and regardless of whether or not DNA is involved, I've found new cousins and paper trails. I think as more matches come in (I'm already having a hard time keeping up), eventually I'll start getting corroborating, or conflicting, evidence. As with all the Y and mt DNA results for my ancestors, I strive for 3 matches, before I begin to feel the result is solid.

Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

On Nov 8, 2010, at 11:50 PM, "Tim Janzen" <> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I have one word of caution in regards to relatives we identify at
> the 8th cousin or more distant level of relationship via Family Finder or
> 23andMe. In at least some cases there will be a closer genealogical
> relationship that is the true source of the shared segment (or segments) but
> a lack of knowledge about the genealogical connection to the shared closer
> ancestor prevents the two parties from being able to discover the identity
> of that closer ancestor. We should always keep the possibility in mind when
> we discover shared distant ancestors that the segment or segments we share
> in common could have been passed down to us from a different shared
> ancestor.
> Sincerely,
> Tim Janzen

This thread: