From: Jim Bartlett <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Relationship Range" Confidence Level
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 06:44:01 -0500

Tim

In my case it's only one segment in 9 of 11 cases that is 7.7cM or larger. Most of the other, smaller segments I also find in other ancestral lines.

Is anyone else seeing this?

And as I think about it, what is the probability that I will get another 7.7cM or larger block which somehow overlaps the one I have with a FF match? In dealing with 5th cousins or greater, it occurs to me that it would be extremely rare.

Is it feasible that distant cousins will have 7.7cM blocks that will overlap larger blocks from close cousins? At this point, I don't "trust" the smaller blocks to indicate anything.

Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

On Nov 9, 2010, at 12:55 AM, "Tim Janzen" <> wrote:

> Dear Jim,
> I agree with your thoughts. I would also like to strongly suggest
> that people get as many of their first and second cousins tested by 23andMe
> and/or Family Finder as possible. When you have the results of first and
> second cousins available you can compare them to the people you share
> matching segments with and have a better chance of determining on which side
> of the family you share a common ancestor with that person.
> Sincerely,
> Tim Janzen

This thread: