From: Dienekes Pontikos <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] First Neolithic Y-DNA published
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:50:30 +0200

I may be one of the remaining few who think that R1b and R1a did not
enter Europe in such a recent time frame by some sort of folk
migration. The Corded Ware culture was of European origin, even though
some have attempted to trace a Kurgan influence to its formation.
Anthropologically, though the Corded Ware people were much different
than the steppe zone of eastern Europe. Physical anthropology is not
in vogue, but there is simply no evidence for mass-scale population
replacement in Europe in an Eneolithic or Bronze Age time frame, and
no obvious outside population that might spawn the Corded Ware people.

If anything, I would attribute R1b's remarkable success story in
Europe to some sort of natural selection; alternatively it may be
linked to some coast-hugging Neolithic dispersal along the north
Mediterranean and Atlantic coast originating in the Aegean. The
evidence for R1a is contradictory, with modern populations suggesting
a South Asian origin, while its presence in Kurgan-related steppe
groups suggests a European origin. We must wait to see what ancient
Y-chromosome studies will show.

As for Dr. Klyosov's theory that R1b is "Turkic", I believe that's
largely based on the R-M73 in Uygurs, and I consider it to be highly
improbable and lacking in parsimony.