From: Bob Hay <>
Subject: [DNA] Ethnoancestry's Total Genomic Ancestry Classification test
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:22:25 +1100

Wilcox Lisa wrote:

>Are they resting SNPs or STRs? How many markers?
>X inheritance is a wild and crazy thing!!!!

SNPs I presume since Ethnoancestry required access to my 23andMe or deCodeMe full genome results - I downloaded the .zip file from 23andMe and sent that to the lab. The turn around was quite fast - about 10 days. I don't know what they do with the mtDNA results in the bundle. I have not paid much attention to my mtDNA results but the last time I looked, the nearest "matches" were somewhere up around Russia, Czech Republic etc. whereas my Y-DNA results indicate late Bronze Age/early Iron Age in the upper Rhine or Northern Italy and it is this line of research which interests me most. Autosomal and X testing has passed over my head, I am afraid :-) My maternal line historically goes back to 17th century Somerset so I am assuming this "Orcadian" placement is paternal. My paternal pedigree brickwalled at a Hay ancestor married in Nairn in 1777 but for whom I can find no other evidence. But I never looked at Orkney data!

I found this Test interesting in that the plots on the graph seem to trace out a migration path for two groups of immigrants to Europe, confirming pretty much what has been discussed on this List for the past decade.... We must be getting somewhere!

Bob Hay
at home at
www.bobhay.org
H3EQG ~ R-L2* ~ HV9a