From: Mike W <>
Subject: [DNA] Fwd: Fwd: First Neolithic Y-DNA published
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:45:10 -0600

Dienekes,

I apologize for misconstruing that you were speaking about "Turkic"
origin theories for R-M343 (R1b) and were being precise on your use of
"Central Asia." I have no comment on any contention that R-M343 (R1b)
origination there. I don't have any data or research on that topic
other than I've read from Dr. Spencer Wells.

I see you think Anatolia is not as likely a source as Southeastern
Europe. I think that is a real possibility too, I just think the
WESTERN European origin is unlikely, as do you.

I'm a curious, though, about your thoughts on a natural selection
advantage for R-M269 per your earlier posting, "If anything, I would
attribute R1b's remarkable success story in Europe to some sort of
natural selection." I would have thought technological or
agricultural practices might be associated with paternal lineages.

Regards, Mike

----- Dienekes Pontikos wrote:
Anatolia is not Central Asia. Also Myres et al. did not present
evidence for greatest Anatolian variance with respect to Europe
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/08/r1b-founder-effect-in-central-and.html
While a WESTERN European origin (a la Semino) is unlikely, I see
absolutely no reason for an Anatolian over a Southeastern European
origin at this point, and less than no reason for a "Central Asian" or
"Turkic" origin.

----- Mike W wrote: I'm not calling them Central Asian either, but I'd
say the labels East Europe and SW Asia are fair.

--
Dienekes' Anthropology Blog: http://dienekes.blogspot.com