From: Dienekes Pontikos <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Fwd: Fwd: First Neolithic Y-DNA published
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:19:38 +0200

A shallow time depth (inferred from modern populations, and consistent
with absence -so far- in earliest Europeans) coupled with a huge
demographic sizes, coupled with near-fixation in some populations,
raises selection questions for sure.

I think the anthropological and archaeological records are pretty
clear that there hasn't been massive population movements/replacements
in Western Europe in a Bronze Age time frame.

The two alternatives I consider most plausible is (i) a coastal
migration of R-M269, e.g., the rapid spread of farming in the
Mediterranean

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2008/08/first-farmers-in-mediterranean.html

i.e., bypassing the regions for which there are currently aDNA data.

I actually consider this the strongest possibility, as R-M269 is very
well represented today in the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts. But,
definitely, selection is a strong possibility, especially for the
youngest/most populous lineages within R-M269. We'll have to wait and
see if it turns up in Neolithic remains from the Mediterranean.

--
Dienekes' Anthropology Blog: http://dienekes.blogspot.com

This thread: