From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] New FTDNA Project Format
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:09:28 -0500

I have no explanation for why the cell format is importing as "date" for cells
with multiple values, but there should be an easy way to fix it, without editing
each cell. Just highlight the column, right click on it, choose Format
cells..., then on the General tab, choose "text." I'm assuming that, if you
click on the column and check the formatting, as imported, that the format on
the General tab will initially say, "date." Does it?

I also see no way around the problem of one color dominating the entire cell for
multi-copy markers, at least not short of splitting the fused cells apart
(manually inserting columns), manually editing the values, and manually
recoloring them. I presume it would be possible to write a script to do it, but
that's beyond my capability. And unless you were doing frequent and/or massive
data mining, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Diana

Families
> http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/frame/results
>
> I struck the date problem you mentioned when entering the two copy values into
the
> one cell. I wasn't sure what to do but found I could work around it by
inserting two
> dashes e.g. DYS459 8--9. I don't think it looks too ugly and I can live with
it, but I
> wondered if there was a better way without getting tangled up with formatting?
I can
> only manage entering data into Excel...beyond that it's a mystery!
>
> The other situation which needed an adjustment to my routine was colouring the
> mutations. The whole combination of values on the multi-copy markers gets
coloured
> instead of just the copy that varied from the modal. I don't see a way around
this,
> though.
>
> Julie Frame Falk
> Admin