From: Steven Bird <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Fwd: Fwd: First Neolithic Y-DNA published
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:32:34 -0600
References: <AANLkTi=R-uQYBmw7vDz3Tsfjzv7_c6JD__MT_n4i6XvE@mail.gmail.com>,<625030.15518.qm@web25901.mail.ukl.yahoo.com>,<AANLkTin314jXQN2fOafYjTPKv=kBE8CmNG-bh8FPRoG-@mail.gmail.com>,<AANLkTimAuM7fw-Byb1M=kafpZ4BZZKGxN6O1QxuYCQQY@mail.gmail.com>,<AANLkTimJ+AD6SGkV7Qt8+g+fnJaJnhRm7wmmzNKN=6a9@mail.gmail.com>,<AANLkTi=oKM0_N397DzvvNRmy-1OJRLrQgoR+fuEzqs6B@mail.gmail.com>,<AANLkTinktEbZj2Gdt8OWVimgCF4DPr_s_7ct5Geu=Sof@mail.gmail.com>,<AANLkTim_332p_4bpC9xrkFp-=pPJ9Uy==72d5EF3Tpd+@mail.gmail.com>

Dienekes wrote:

> .... I think the anthropological and archaeological records are pretty
> clear that there hasn't been massive population movements/replacements
> in Western Europe in a Bronze Age time frame.
>
> The two alternatives I consider most plausible is (i) a coastal
> migration of R-M269, e.g., the rapid spread of farming in the
> Mediterranean
>
> http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2008/08/first-farmers-in-mediterranean.html
>
> i.e., bypassing the regions for which there are currently aDNA data.
>
> I actually consider this the strongest possibility, as R-M269 is very
> well represented today in the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts. But,
> definitely, selection is a strong possibility, especially for the
> youngest/most populous lineages within R-M269. We'll have to wait and
> see if it turns up in Neolithic remains from the Mediterranean.

I respond:

As you're no doubt aware, the problem with extracting Y DNA from Mediterranean regions is that the Y DNA tends to break down faster in hotter climates. This has reduced the potential up to now to extract useful aDNA Y from those regions. I did note that Haak's study included what appears to be a novel method of extracting the genetic data that can utilize much shorter fragments. This may be helpful ultimately in allowing samples from more southerly climates to be obtained. The attempt to extract Y DNA from Grave Circle A and B at Mycenaea was not successful a few years ago, but perhaps it should be attempted again with this new method of Haak's.

Steve

This thread: