From: SVass <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] New FTDNA Project Format
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:31:49 -0800

I agree with your intent. There are multiple versions of Excel as well as multiple web browsers as well as multiple computer operating systems. All have some differences from each other. (I happen to use a Macintosh and have found an exotic method to recover the correct format. It will not work for other systems just as the proposed solutions will not work for me.) I do not blame the software developers as they can not easily test all combinations.

That said, I agree that the public data should be exportable as a csv (comma separated values) file just as family finder allows for matches. (Even XML is not acceptable as Microsoft has only partially integrated that into its products. As to the colors used for off modal values, I will merely point out that the computed modals for many groups are irrelevant or just plain wrong since some projects combine many sub-haplogroups into one list that has many separate clusters with each deserving its own modal computation. I would also suggest that the rows for minima and maxima be eliminated.

sam vass
(software law KISS)

On Nov 14, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Ken Nordtvedt wrote:

> FTDNA should have put all their project spreadsheets out in excel in the
> first place (or at least always offered it as an option) . It is a format
> and tool permitting data manipulation galore and widely possessed.

This thread: