From: Mike W <>
Subject: [DNA] Fwd: Fwd: First Neolithic Y-DNA published
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:53:08 -0600
References: <AANLkTi=R-uQYBmw7vDz3Tsfjzv7_c6JD__MT_n4i6XvE@mail.gmail.com><625030.15518.qm@web25901.mail.ukl.yahoo.com><AANLkTin314jXQN2fOafYjTPKv=kBE8CmNG-bh8FPRoG-@mail.gmail.com><AANLkTimAuM7fw-Byb1M=kafpZ4BZZKGxN6O1QxuYCQQY@mail.gmail.com><AANLkTimJ+AD6SGkV7Qt8+g+fnJaJnhRm7wmmzNKN=6a9@mail.gmail.com><AANLkTi=oKM0_N397DzvvNRmy-1OJRLrQgoR+fuEzqs6B@mail.gmail.com><AANLkTinktEbZj2Gdt8OWVimgCF4DPr_s_7ct5Geu=Sof@mail.gmail.com>

I am trying to evaluate the alternative that R-M269 (R1b1b2) followed
a coastal migration through Europe with farming. To look for
south/north clines versus east/west clines I divided the data from the
Myres study into six categories, three northerly and three southerly.
I took a page from some of the ht35 project analysis and analyzed the
mix of clades in the upstream phylogeny of R-L11, since L11 accounts
for 96% of all R-M269 in Western Europe. U106 and P312 both descend
from L11. Here is the graphic depiction with the summary totals. I
think of this as a clade "brothers and cousins" chart.

http://tiny.cc/9gahy

Though the data is geographically spotty, the Myres
(http://tiny.cc/o6bx2 ) study has the broadest R-M343 deep clade
tested data set I know of.

I was a bit skeptical of this kind of comparison, but it actually
works perfectly for my own family's paternal lineage. The state I
reside in and my children were born is not the state I'm from. I have
brothers and cousins in multiple states, but the only place I have
both a brother and cousins is my home state. I take this further back
a couple of generations and I find that 2nd cousins seem to be in or
scattered about another state, to the east, ironically. It's the
correct location of my g-grandfather.

On the graph above, if you relabeled me as L11, my father could be
M269 (violet) and my g-grandfather could be M343 (dark purple). The
red is L11 (U106 and P312 and L11*) and it appears to be an SNP that
surfed the wave west. It is less and less common back where brothers,
cousins and 2nd cousins and are more common. Vince Vizachero called
this haplogroup diversity.

Regards, Mike

---- Dienekes Pontikos wrote:

The two alternatives I consider most plausible is (i) a coastal
migration of R-M269, e.g., the rapid spread of farming in the
Mediterranean http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2008/08/first-farmers-in-mediterranean.html
i.e., bypassing the regions for which there are currently aDNA data.

I actually consider this the strongest possibility, as R-M269 is very
well represented today in the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts. But,
definitely, selection is a strong possibility, especially for the
youngest/most populous lineages within R-M269. ....

This thread: