From: steven perkins <>
Subject: [DNA] Article: Unexpected island effects at an extreme: reducedY-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA diversity in Nias.
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:00:20 -0500

Mol Biol Evol. 2010 Nov 8. [Epub ahead of print]
http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2010/11/08/molbev.msq300.long

Unexpected island effects at an extreme: reduced Y-chromosome and
mitochondrial DNA diversity in Nias.

van Oven M, Hämmerle JM, van Schoor M, Kushnick G, Pennekamp P, Zega
I, Lao O, Brown L, Kennerknecht I, Kayser M.

Department of Forensic Molecular Biology, Erasmus MC University
Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

Abstract

The amount of genetic diversity in a population is determined by
demographic and selection events in its history. Human populations
which exhibit greatly reduced overall genetic diversity, presumably
resulting from severe bottlenecks or founder events, are particularly
interesting, not least because of their potential to serve as valuable
resources for health studies.

Here, we present an unexpected case, the human population of Nias
Island in Indonesia, that exhibits severely reduced Y chromosome (NRY)
and to a lesser extent also reduced mitochondrial (mt)DNA diversity as
compared with most other populations from the Asia / Oceania region.
Our genetic data, collected from more than 400 individuals from across
the island, suggest a strong, previously undetected bottleneck or
founder event in the human population history of Nias, more pronounced
for males than for females, followed by subsequent genetic isolation.

Our findings are unexpected given the island's geographic proximity to
the genetically highly diverse Southeast Asian world, as well as our
previous knowledge about the human history of Nias. Furthermore, all
NRY and virtually all mtDNA haplogroups observed in Nias can be
attributed to the Austronesian expansion, in line with linguistic
data, and in contrast with archaeological evidence for a
pre-Austronesian occupation of Nias that, as we show here, left no
significant genetic footprints in the contemporary population.

Our work underlines the importance of human genetic diversity studies
not only for a better understanding of human population history, but
also because of the potential relevance for genetic disease mapping
studies.

PMID: 21059792 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

--
Steven C. Perkins
http://stevencperkins.com/

This thread: