From: Ann Turner <>
Subject: [DNA] PubMed abstract: Y chromosome gene pool of Western Slavs
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:20:34 -0800

Am J Phys Anthropol. 2010 Aug;142(4):540-8.

Similarities and distinctions in Y chromosome gene pool of Western Slavs.

Woz'niak M, Malyarchuk B, Derenko M, Vanecek T, Lazur J, Gomolcak P,
Grzybowski T.

Institute of Molecular and Forensic Genetics, Collegium Medicum of the
Nicolaus Copernicus University, 85-094 Bydgoszcz, Poland.

Analysis of Y chromosome Y-STRs has proven to be a useful tool in the field
of population genetics, especially in the case of closely related
populations. We collected DNA samples from 169 males of Czech origin, 80
males of Slovakian origin, and 142 males dwelling Northern Poland. We
performed Y-STR analysis of 12 loci in the samples collected (PowerPlex Y
system from Promega) and compared the Y chromosome haplotype frequencies
between the populations investigated. Also, we used Y-STR data available
from the literature for comparison purposes. We observed significant
differences between Y chromosome pools of Czechs and Slovaks compared to
other Slavic and European populations. At the same time we were able to
point to a specific group of Y-STR haplotypes belonging to an R1a haplogroup
that seems to be shared by Slavic populations dwelling in Central Europe.
The observed Y chromosome diversity may be explained by taking into
consideration archeological and historical data regarding early Slav
migrations.

PMID: 20091807 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

This thread: