From: "Brian P. Swann" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Article: Statement of the European Journal of HumanGenetics on DTC genetic testing for health related purposes
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:58:49 -0000

Dear Kathy

Why don't you find out? Email them and ask the Question.

Or if you want - I don't mind having a stab.

I would be surprised if the European Society of Genetics paid any more than
lip service to whatever you did over your side of the pond.

They would say something like: "We take note of the interesting developments
which are happening in the USA, but as we all realise the European
healthcare system and DTC market are fundamentally different between the two
areas concerned. Thus we propose to continue our research/formulate our
arguments/hold a European Symposium/lobby the European Commission/discuss
with Members of the European Parliament/apply for additional EU Funding
(delete those which do not apply) to continue to study differentiating
factors between the two geographic areas".

Perhaps the American Society of Human Genetics could all roll up their
ideas, pack up and follow the Europeans. But not much chance of that
happening I feel.

However the Nuffield Council on Bioethics would agree with the last
sentence, which I have picked out below.

Brian