From: SVass <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] MAC Users and XML Files
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:12:19 -0800

Multiple solutions to one or more problems:

The new Macintosh Office 2011 released a few weeks ago will now open XML files. (I do not recommend using it for serious work until it has had a few months to fix all of the bugs.)
NeoOffice (a special Macintosh version of Open Office) has had the ability to open XML files and run Excel macros for some time.
All spreadsheets can open CSV files.

The new update of Safari for the Macintosh released last week can copy FTDNA project data files and paste them into Excel spreadsheets in both Mac Office 2008 and 2011 subject to the date fix identified by Robert Stafford that requires setting the format of all cells to "TEXT". A second solution is to paste the data into an "AppleWorks" text document and do a global Find/Replace of the "-" to a tab (backslash T), then copy the page(s) and paste them into an AppleWorks spreadsheet. The resulting spreadsheet should be saved in either CSV or XLS format.
Sam Vass

On Nov 23, 2010, Robert Stafford wrote:

> I ran across this in the Q&A at FTDNA
>
> The XML download file will not open in MAC Office. Why not?

> There is a known issue with MAC versions of Excel being unable to open XML files. Microsoft has documented the issue but does not provide a
> solution that consistently works. Therefore, we recommend that MAC users utilize OpenOffice for the MAC to open and convert XML files.

This thread: