From: "Elise Friedman" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA Join Requests
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:25:48 -0500

I may be one of the few, but I actually prefer FTDNA's new join request system. I get so much email that it gets very difficult for me to manage and keep track of everything. With the new system, join requests are fully documented in the GAP, separately for each of my projects, and all responses back and forth are also recorded and saved. The new system also documents the date and time when we first read a new message from a prospective member, as well as when the prospective member has read our response back to them!

There are 3 options for join requests now: approve, deny and "more information". When you send a "more information" response back, you can write whatever you want in your response. You can ask for more information and let the person respond through the website, or you can choose to include your email address in your response, and ask the person to write to you directly instead of through the website -- especially if you need the person to send you a pedigree, which they can't attach to their response through the FTDNA system. FTDNA has no problem with people doing this.

The main reason they set up the system the way it is now is because they probably *were* losing sales with the *old* system. They have admins who don't respond to join requests in a timely manner (and I admit that I've been guilty of this myself due to requests getting buried in my mountain of email). When it's an existing customer, a small delay isn't too detrimental because FTDNA isn't losing a sale. But when it's a person looking to order a kit for the first time, and the order can't be placed until the admin approves the join request, that's definitely a potential loss of sale. With the old system, FTDNA had no idea if admins were responding to join requests and waiting on info from the potential member, or if the join requests weren't getting responses at all. With the new system, they'll at least be able to see whether join requests are getting an initial response or not and when the final approve or deny message is sent -- even if the rest of the discussion betwe!
en admin and prospective member is conducted through private email.

So rather than look at this change as a detriment to your projects and sales, please try to embrace this change instead. The bottom line here is that you can choose to do all your communication through the web interface, or you can choose to provide your email address and encourage the requestor to contact you directly. The decision is completely up to you.

Elise