From: "Julie Frame Falk" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP Breakthrough for I1*-AS
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:46:07 +1100

Ken

Have ordered for Frame - YSearch X7P3B
Hope it helps!

Kind regards
Julie Frame Falk
Frame Admin
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/frame/

From: Ken Nordtvedt
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:20 AM
To: ;
Subject: [DNA] SNP Breakthrough for I1*-AS

Finally we I1* folks seem to have acquired a breakthrough snp. It is called L338. Because the WTY fellow who was first seen with it, and then the next guy to be tested for it in control were both from clade I1-AS1, it was first thought to be a new snp derived for all of I1. But then an I1*-generic tested ancestral and an I1-Bothnian L22+ tested ancestral. So this snp could be a biggy, dividing the huge I1*-AS division of I1 at last in a robust manner. The two persons found derived from I1-AS1 are many steps of mutation apart, suggesting that perhaps all of I1-AS1 will be derived. Because of the similarities of the I1-AS8 clade, I suspect it, too, will prove derived.

I am an outlier I1-ASgeneric and have just placed an order for L338.

Given the many clades of I1-AS which have been identified, some with interesting geographical biases to their memberships, we really need people from all the clades to test for L338 to see if you fall ancestral or derived. Be the first of your clade to do L338!

And then there is the huge I1-ASgeneric collection of haplotypes. Will they all fall on one side of the ancestral/derived divide for L338? It will take a number of generics to do the test to see if a strong trend is there.

Hopefully we will understand the bushy portion of the I1 tree much better in a few months of L338 testing.

Thanks to Thomas Krahn and the management at FTDNA for so quickly getting L338 into the STR catalog offerings.

Ken