From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP Breakthrough for I1*-AS
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:40:58 -0500

I agree that once a SNP is found, it becomes important to test everyone because
you need to know who is ancestral and who is derived to determine the location
of the branch in the tree. But technically, a locus that doesn't vary isn't a
SNP. The P in SNP stands for polymorphism, meaning multiple forms. If there is
just one form, the locus isn't polymorphic, which is the case for most loci,
hence the difficulty in finding the rare ones that are polymorphic.

Diana

Group A and