From: Gareth Henson <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP Breakthrough for I1*-AS
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:55:40 +0000

I agree - from a utility point of view the opposite of a "private" SNP which is only seen in one cluster of close relatives is not a SNP which is found in almost all of a haplogroup (or major subgroup), but one which splits the larger group roughly 50-50.

It is the splitting SNPs which should be the first round tests in SNP testing, not the older, predictable (and boring) backbone ones.

Gareth

> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:01:16 -0700
> Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP Breakthrough for I1*-AS
>
> I have alerted the head of the Hamilton project to recruit someone from the
> Group A and Group B Hamiltons to take the L338 test.
>
> I hope many people read your quote from Dr. Krahn. Once a new snp is found
> in a large population like I1*, the later tests which turn up ancestral are
> just as important as those turning up derived. Purpose of snps is to
> clarify the branching of a tree --- separation of different subhaplogroups.
>
> A snp which everyone is ancestral or everyone is derived is sort of boring.
>
> Ken

This thread: