From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP Breakthrough for I1*-AS
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:02:49 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>

If there is
> just one form, the locus isn't polymorphic, which is the case for most
> loci,
> hence the difficulty in finding the rare ones that are polymorphic.

Where did you get the idea most loci are monomorphic? The probabilities say
otherwise.

The reason we have just several hundred snps in the y tree is because the
search has been very limited, and we have looked at only several tens of
thousands of males.

Most every one of the 25 million or so useful loci on the y is polymorphic
in the whole y tree from genetic Adam.

How many males have been born in the world in the last few decades --- more
than a billion. With the probability of any loci mutating in a father son
transition being 2 or 3 divided by 100 million, every loci had an excellent
chance of mutating in just this modern era. Of course the actual mutation
rate of loci probably vary above and below the average rate, so some very
stable sites may require a little deeper look in the y tree to find their
mutations.

This thread: