From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: [DNA] Possible slightly non random characteristic of muations?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:02:39 +1300

I was looking at the research article at Structural constraints revealed in consistent nucleosome positions in the genome of S. cerevisiae .

The research paper summary finishes with.......

Conclusion
Our findings may be combined into a hypothesis for the emergence of a weak nucleosome-positioning code. According to this hypothesis, consistent nucleosomes may be partly guided by nearby nucleosome-free regions through statistical positioning. Once established, a set of well-positioned consistent nucleosomes may impose secondary constraints which further shape the structure of the underlying DNA. We are able to capture these constraints through the application of a recently introduced structural property that is related to the symmetry of DNA curvature. Furthermore we show that both consistently-positioned nucleosomes and their adjacent nucleosome-free regions show an increased tendency for the conservation of this structural feature.

<<<<<<<

I am not sure that I fully understand this, but I think it is suggests that once certain DNA structural features have developed, there is an increased tendency for the conservation of the structural feature. Does this mean that new mutations are not totally random, but are in some way influenced by a tendency to conserve existing structural features?

This research paper did not relate to humans, and did not relate to Y-DNA. However, it is possible that basic principles apply in a similar way to different types of DNA.

John.

This thread: