From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Provenance of a DNA segment (importance ofphasedhaplotypes)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:18:21 -0800

Dear Kathy,
There aren't easy answers to all of your questions.

I think that we do these autosomal tests for two primary reasons:
1. To confirm what we think is true. In other words to make sure that
there aren't NPEs in the lineages that we think are true by testing various
relatives and comparing their results to our own.
2. To break through genealogical brick walls. I think that targeted
testing is one of the most important ways that people should be using these
autosomal tests. For instance, I am currently trying to track down a
descendent John Reeves (b. ca 1745)(see
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=gsemerick&id=I2235
) for autosomal testing because I would like to see if there are matching
IBD segments with descendents of Jacob Youngman (b. ca 1825) because I
believe that his mother Elisabeth Reeves was probably a descendent of John
Reeves. If I find a significant number of matching segments then this will
help support the theory that there is a genealogical link.

There are clearly situations where people don't reach the 5 cM
threshold that seem highly likely to be genealogically related to other
people. One example I recently found is Robert Paine, who has two matching
IBD segments in common with my mother Betty Janzen and her brother Robert
Youngman. These segments are only 4.66 and 4.87 cMs in length, but each has
a relatively high number of SNPs for the segment (over 1000 SNPs for each
segment), which to me suggests that they are genealogically significant.
See http://kquilting.homeserver.com/23andme/Robert_Paine_2010-Nov-14.pdf.
Robert Paine has early New England ancestry and shares at least several
ancestors in common with my mother in the 1600s.

Sincerely,
Tim Janzen