Subject: [DNA] Bringing Enlightenment to the Natives
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 18:47:39 EST

John

I'm not sure you actually read my posting or understood what I was saying.
I quoted the figures regarding the British being the second largest group
in the FTDNA database to SUPPORT the view that we both appear to share that
the British are on the most part quite comfortable with the idea of DNA
testing. As I explained I have had no problem recruiting people from the UK
to participate in my own projects.

In contrast, I know from speaking and corresponding with many of my fellow
project admins in America that they do have a problem with recruiting in
the UK. The evidence is there in many US-led DNA projects, which do not have
the expected proportions of testees from the UK in relation to the size of
the surname. Often the problem is that the project started off by looking
at the surname in the US and only later was it thought necessary to expand
to the country of origin. It then becomes much more difficult if you start
from a base of 100 or so members of colonial ancestry and none from the UK.
There is little incentive for anyone from the UK to join one of these
projects, unless he's only interested in his deep ancestry and wants to get the
project discount.

Precise figures are not available from any company about the geographical
composition of their databases. One of the projects I administer is the
mtDNA haplogroup U4 project. Around 90% of our project members are in the US,
the next largest group are the Brits, followed by the Finns. I think from
memory we only have one person from France in the project whereas we would
expect to have many more if equal numbers of French and British people were
participating in DNA testing. U4 is found in Finland but the
disproportionate number of Finns vs French is I suspect accounted for by the success of
the Finland DNA project. I have quite a few British people in other projects
living in France which is my reason for suggesting that the number of
French people in the Genographic Project database is perhaps over-estimated,
assuming that my figures are replicated elsewhere. I would dearly like to see
more French people take DNA tests as so many British surnames have roots
in France and we desperately need French results for comparison purposes,
and French results are also critical for understanding the spread and
distribution of the European haplogroups.

Debbie Kennett

This thread: