From: Jim Bartlett <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] yDNA Haplogroup of President J F Kennedy
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:46:49 -0400

I went to OCS in 1967, and was commissioned an Ensign - at that time we had service numbers (nothing to do with precedence, which was initially established by date of rank and them class ranking when everyone was commissioned on same graduation date. The service number was changed to the SSN a few years later, and remains to this day. JFK was discharged from the Navy before the changeover.

My status changed to retired in 1997, but I still hold a commission. My ID card still carries the SSN.

Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!

On Jun 6, 2011, at 1:03 PM, "grandcross" <> wrote:

> Kennedy served as an officer in the Navy. His social security number would
> have been on file with the War Department, later Department of the Navy,
> assuming he had one which is likely but not assured.
> As an officer he would have also been issued a service number along with
> everyone else which, by the Vietnam era, reached six digits. Within the
> officer ranks of the Navy and Marine Corps service numbers were used, among
> other things, to establish seniority among persons of the same rank aboard
> ship or at a shore side facility. But by the mid-seventies and possibly
> earlier the military began relying primarily upon social security numbers in
> tracking personnel.
>
> Service ("serial") numbers were one of the three items military could
> provide to the enemy when captured, along with rank and name. That directive
> may no longer be in force. Social security numbers got you paid, and
> occasionally accompanied letters of merit and decorations. Discharge
> documents (DD214) used to list both identifiers.
>
> Anyone who served post Vietnam may have a different take on all this.

This thread: